Dustin James Ph.D.
Dr. Dustin James is currently the Laboratory Manager, as well as "Research Scientist" for the Tour Group at Rice University.Dr. James worked for 3 1/2 years as a Staff Scientist in the Process Development Department of Norwich Eaton Pharmaceuticals (then became Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, but P&G has exited the drug discovery business) in Norwich, New York. He then went to work for Koch Specialty Chemical Co. (KSCC, now shut down) in Wichita, Kansas. In Wichita, he was a Research Chemist, then a Principal Research Chemist in the Research and Development Dept.
In 1997 Dr. James transferred to KSCC's corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas and became the Technology Exploitation Manager. Then in 1998 he transferred over to Koch Microelectonic Service Co. Inc. (KMSC), to work as Technology Exploitation Manager and then as Chemistry and Technology Manager until he started here at Rice in January 2001. Dr. James is now the Lab Manager for Jim Tour's group.
Dr. James is listed inventor on six granted patents:
* US 6,398,964 "Process for Treating Aqueous Waste Containing Copper and Copper CMP Particles"
* US 6,338,803 "Process for Treating Waste Water Containing Hydrofluoric Acid and Mixed Acid Etchant Waste"
* US 6,203,705 "A Process for Treating Waste Water Containing Copper" for treating Cu CMP wastewater from semiconductor plant operations.
* US 5,489,332 "Carbonless Paper Solvent Comprising Diisopropylmethylnaphthalene and Products Utilizing Same" a new, lower odor carbonless paper solvent.
* US 5,385,879 "Carbonless Paper Solvent Comprising Diisopropylmethylnaphthalene and Products Utilizing Same" that covers the carbonless paper made using DIPMN.
* US 5,286,902 "Process for Preparation of 2-(6-Methoxy-2-naphthyl)proprionic Acid and Intermediates Therefor Utilizing 2,6-Diisopropylnaphthalene" a process for making naproxen from 2,6-DIPN.
EducationDr. James graduated from Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas with a BS (major chemistry, minor in math) in 1979. Five years later he graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry.
BooksContributor to the Handbook of Nanoscience, Engineering, and Technology, Second Edition (CRC Press) 2007.
By this Researcher