Deepak Thassu Ph.D
Dr. Thassu is specialized in the field of Novel Drug Delivery Systems with emphasis on liquid/solid oral delivery systems for bio/pharmaceuticals.Expert in Aseptic Processing, Fluid Bed Particle Coating, Multiparticulate Drug Delivery Technologies and other controlled release technologies. Proven ability to coach and motivate Ph.D. level scientists and interdepartmentally accelerate the drug development & discovery process. Outstanding expertise in IVIVC, pharmacokinetics, biopharmaceutics, patent laws. Experienced with broad understanding of regulatory requirements for IND, NDA and developing regulatory filing strategies.
EducationMBA, Cornell University, Johnson School of Management, Ithaca, NY (2006); Post Doctoral Fellow, Industrial Pharmacy, Biopharmaceutics, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH, (1999 – 2000); Ph.D. Pharmaceutics, (1991); M.Pharm. Pharmaceutics, (1986)
Career HighlightsCurrent Position
Chief Scientific Officer & Senior VP Product Development, Holopack International Corp, Carolina Research Park , Columbia, SC 29203
Senior executive and a strategic leader for a BFS Technology/Unit Dose Delivery Technology company.
• Providing direct leadership to Product Development & Research, Compliance, Regulatory, Quality Systems and IP Management Departments.
• Mentor and develop VP/Director-level managers.
• Forge and cultivate partnerships with investors. Drive growth and development of business as a key member of commercial and business development teams.
Associate Director, Global Pharmaceutical Technology Development, UCB Pharma, Inc. Rochester, New York. 2004 -present
• Technical Leader for formulation development group to develop solid, liquid and extended release suspensions. (Five Ph.D level scientist direct reports)
• Key cross-functional team member for the defense of NDAs.
• Generation and management of intellectual property. Develop strategies with patent counsels to defend patent applications.
• Technical lead to the project in the area of IVIVC, biopharamceutics and pharmacokinetics.
• Project leader of the global Life-Cycle management cross functional project teams.
• Published Book entitled: Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery Systems year 2006 CRC Press/Informa Health care
Senior Principal Investigator (Head: Formulation R&D & Drug Delivery Group & Biologics) Celltech Americas, Inc., Rochester, New York. 2003-2004
• Lead development and Life Cycle Management of existing Pennkinetic® extended release technology for oral products. Member of the Global Project Management teams.
• Managed & Lead Research & Development of solid and oral liquid formulations.
• Responsible for global project management, leading cross-functional team and managing intellectual property.
• Established new drug development group of Ph.D. level scientists (Five direct reports).
• Strategic planning budget development and financial management.
• Received Celltech Star award for showing outstanding leadership qualities in the year 2003.
One US patent awarded
Principal Investigator Product Development, Celltech Americas, Inc., Rochester, New York. 2002-2003
• Lead preformulation & development of delivery systems for NCEs (Poorly Soluble CDP-323).
• Lead development and Life Cycle Management of existing Pennkinetic® extended release technology for liquid suspensions.
• Lead Research & Development of solid and oral liquid formulations (IR&MR) using laboratory and pilot scale fluid bed coating equipment.
• Lead development of delivery systems for peptides in the therapeutic areas of immune and inflammatory disorders and cancer.
• Supervised Ph.D. level scientists and technical staff.
• Managed department resources to achieve company’s objective.
• Received Celltech Star award for outstanding research contributions in the year 2002.
(Design & Development activities resulted in a significant intellectual property. Two patents were filled)
BooksNanoparticulate Drug Delivery Systems (CRC Press) 2007